If you are interested in using the Tarot holistically, for healing and personal development, you will find that certain decks work better than others.
Below, I'm listing my favourite Tarot Healing decks in four categories:
- For readings (self and clients)
- For energy work (chakra healing, tarot healing meditation and tarot essences)
- For combining with other healing modalities
- For shadow work (integrating aspects of self we are prone to project onto others)
- Voyager Tarot by James Wanless - Not based in any particular belief system and suitable to use with most clients. Ideal for brainstorming as their are lots of visual clues. Belongs to the Thoth family of decks.
- Angel Tarot Cards by Doreen Virtue - Ideal to use in combination with Angel Therapy and together with Angel Oracle cards. May not be suitable for clients who cannot or do not wish to connect with Angels. One of the most gentle decks and ideal for working through periods of grief. (Read my deck interview HERE)
- Tarot of the Sidhe by Emily Carding - With its strong connection to the Sidhe and Nature, this is an ideal deck for working in a shamanic way. Very powerful, poetic readings come from working with this deck.
- Osho Zen Tarot - Extremely useful for exploring relationship dynamics as well as pretty much any personal development factors.
- Simply Deep Tarot by James Battersby and Chanel Bayless - A deck with a modern feel to it. Bright colours and well thought through symbology makes this one of my favourite decks to work with for clear direction and problem solving.
- Mary-El Tarot by Marie White - Another shamanic deck which also suits dreamwork. The strong imagery contains nudity which may not appeal to everyone. The writing in the companion book is deeply insightful and makes for a wonderful daily contemplation focus.
For energy work
- The Rosetta Tarot by M.M. Meleen - has been described as the 'little sister of the Thoth deck' (read my deck interview HERE)
- The Thoth Tarot by Aleister Crowley and Frieda Harris
When doing energy healing work, I rely heavily on Astrological correspondences (see 22 Keys to Healing). If working with decks in the Thoth family is not a comfortable fit, I recommend a regular Waite Smith deck.
For combining with other modalities
For shadow work
- The Bohemian Gothic Tarot by Karen Mahoney - Excellent for looking into the nooks and crannies of one's psyche. Enchanting imagery. (For an example of this deck in action, click HERE)
- The Tarot of the Vampyres by Ian Daniels - Beautiful dark imagery. Comes with an absolutely amazing companion book, displaying in-depth knowledge about both the occult and psychology. Essentially, Vampirism is what we are forced to resort to if we are not taking responsibility for our own wholeness. We all go through various stages of Vampirism, both as 'vampires' and victims before we learn to manage our energy... something to be mindful of when working with this stunning deck.
Click HERE to learn how to cleanse and dedicate a deck for Tarot Healing work.
Please share if you think this is useful resource - Sharing is caring... Mwah!
Angel Starlight Blessings,